Lavender Oil Benefits for Hair

There are great benefits in Lavender Oil for the hair. I have had my hand at both the watered-down, common version (i.e. heavily laden with soybean oil, vegetable and other filler oils, and even silicone) and the luck of getting my hands on the pure, unfiltered, essential oil at my local drugstore (of all places 😄). I read about lavender oil being good for hair growth, and my first journey with it was around the time I was 13-- when my hair fell out after that salon visit for my 8th grade prom hairstyle 😴.

Needless to say, the watered down version didn't do so great, and with that being the only lavender oil I could get to, I trashed the whole experience. I found my new lavender oil, which I still occasionally purchase to this day, two years ago at my local drugstore. I'm happy to say that diluted with my olive and peppermint oil mixture, it's a favorite hands-down, and lasts me a long time. Here's why I keep coming back:

  • It has antiseptic and anti-fungal properties, which creates a good, clean environment for hair growth (not to be substituted for a regular shampoo routine)
  • It's loaded with antioxidants: It promotes the body's manufacturing of three powerful antioxidants: Glutathione, Catalase, and Superoxide Dismutase. So it's good for overall health inside and out! 
  • Improves Eczema and Psoriasis if you have problems with those conditions on your scalp (I have a dry scalp and it honestly helps quite nicely. It minimizes my scalp itch)
  • Heals burns and cuts, which can be especially helpful if you've recently had a bad sunburn or chemical injury of your scalp or surrounding areas (*use with caution*)
  • The aroma is soothing and stress relieving for most users
  • It Is also good for headaches and depression (mood lifting)


The reason I don't use Lavender oil regularly is because it does have a scent-- that classic scent that most products and brands like to advertise due to its relaxing, and stress relieving properties. However, although it is traditionally a scent that everyone loves, I'm not so sure about using it on my scalp and having that scent linger on me on a daily basis. That being said, it is a good aromatherapy agent, yet caution is to be exercised when using it on the skin. Undiluted, it can be vastly too strong and even irritate the skin in some cases. Make sure you dilute your essential oil heavily with a carrier oil-- like olive oil or castor oil. Don't worry; the potential benefits are still floating around in there 😉. Thanks for reading!

**Use with caution if you are pregnant or nursing. Talk to your doctor. Thank You**

~Be Blessed, Be Curly, Be Cherished.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Product Review: Shea Moisture Curling Gel Souffle vs. Curl Enhancing Smoothie

Product Review Shea Moisture: Gel Souffle vs. Curl Enhancing Smoothie Pt. 2

What is Your Hair Type? and Why It's Important