Product Review: Shea Moisture Curling Gel Souffle vs. Curl Enhancing Smoothie

Hey you guys! Sorry it's been a minute, but I am back this time with a product review of Shea Moisture's Coconut and Hibiscus line, featuring the Curling Gel Souffle and the Curl Enhancing Smoothie.

Honestly, the very first product I have used in defining my curls on this hair care journey has been the Coconut and Hibiscus Curling Gel Souffle. I actually stumbled upon it while trying to find another product for curls in my local drugstore, and decided to give it a shot. According to the label, it contains Agave Nectar and Flax Seed oil, and is an anti-frizz formulation and helps moisturize the hair.

Personal feelings concerning the Shea Moisture line are varied, however I decided that an honest review of these products is still necessary for those beginning or just searching for a staple curling moisturizer to just use and go about their day. So here's the diddy:

~Gel Souffle (Duration of use: 1 month)

 Cons:
  • Is tacky and sticky
  • Sits on top of the hair
  • Can be hard to work with due to excessive sticky-ness
  • Almost grainy in texture

  Pros:
  • Excellent Moisturizer aside from the stickiness
  • Defines curls like none other so far (as a natural based, paraben-free, 'cruelty free' product)
  • Lasts a long time (a little goes a long way)
  • Is not really a souffle, but like a loose jelly (which I happened to like, but your preference may vary)

I used the Gel Souffle for a month until I just got tired of the sticky feeling it left behind. I'd categorize it as a medium in regards to how heavy it feels on the hair. Nothing crazy, however, the sticky-ness is a factor. It was so bad, I have to break it down to you: the sticky-ness made me leave. 

The sticky-ness made me leave.

It was a wonderful product; my curls were amazing and popping up like never before (I didn't even know my hair could curl like that!). However it is moderately heavy (in that medium category), and I wouldn't recommend it for fine or thick curly hair with lighter, or airy strands. It has a tendency to sit on top of the hair and not really penetrate the strands and for me honestly, sat there for about 2 hours with a very shiny, undesired wet look. Also you can't play with it or massage it in throughout the day because it gets all over your hands. And wrapping your hair at night or using your best satin pillowcase? Forget about it. It also has a grainy like texture to it almost like sugar crystals; which in theory sounds luxurious, but in practice, is less than pleasing. 

Pt. 2 for Curl Enhancing Smoothie and Verdict Coming Up 😉

*This review is non-sponsored. Thank you*

~Be Blessed, Be Curly, Be Cherished.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Product Review Shea Moisture: Gel Souffle vs. Curl Enhancing Smoothie Pt. 2

What is Your Hair Type? and Why It's Important