Cantu: Shea Butter for Natural Hair Review

Throughout August, I have used the Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair care line. I've tried both the sulfate free Cleansing Cream Shampoo and Hydrating Cream Conditioner, and I figured it was about time I did a review. A lot of people hold it to the standards of almost a 'holy grail' hair care line, and swear by it, so I figured it was time to put in my two cents. Here's my personal take on it (-not sponsored-):

I give it a 4 star rating instead of 5.

It's very thick; the Cleansing Cream shampoo is very, but not extremely creamy. Almost like a 4.4 out of 5 to me on the creamy scale. However the conditioner is runnier than you might expect it to be. Think of it as if the shampoo and conditioner formulations switched roles in regards to their viscosity (thickness), but the conditioner-thick shampoo just does its job of bubbling up and cleansing. It wasn't anything major; It still spread easily to other areas of my scalp (which is why it's a 4.4 out of 5 on the creamy factor; 5 being that I cannot hardly spread it to other areas of my scalp with average, rotating effort with my palms and without thoroughly saturating the area with water first); Plus it smells really good-- almost like coconut but with a perfume-like take to the scent. It's very light and relaxing though; not overbearing at all.

As far as the Hydrating Cream Conditioner, it was definitely an add on. It felt like it rinsed out of the hair too easily without first properly doing its job (not without residue). It felt like the shampoo put in more work detangling, softening, and quenching the curls of my little 'fro. The curls would stretch a little more and my hair would fluff out; able to go from being stuck to my head (shrinkage is real 😯) to completely detangle-able (is that a word? lol) by hand. I would personally take the shampoo as a quite capable stand alone product in regards to the duo. The conditioner just felt like an unnecessary accessory.

NOW
Here's why, ladies and gents, I took off a star.

Cantu STINGS. If it gets in your eyes I promise you...its ridiculously bad!! I wish I was being dramatic. I have yet to meet a formulation that if it mistakenly gets into your eyes stings as bad as Cantu-- both the shampoo and conditioner. And what's worse, it only requires a small, sliver of a drop, gently sliding down your poor unsuspecting temples into the tiny crevice of your eye in the shower to cause mayhem. Its very potent; which may in fact be due to its pronounced residue. In the shower, I can barely get the slick, greasy residue of both the conditioner and shampoo off of me, but the conditioner is worse. Yet the hydration, I cannot lie, is so amazing. But not worth the sting. Definitely not the sting 😂.




Here you go, my take on the Cantu Shea Butter line that everyone is raving about. Thank you for reading and remember that products affect us all differently. Be patient in your hair journey, find what works for you, and enjoy the ride! 😉

-This review is non-sponsored. Thank you.-

~Be Blessed, Be Curly, Be Cherished.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Product Review: Shea Moisture Curling Gel Souffle vs. Curl Enhancing Smoothie

Product Review Shea Moisture: Gel Souffle vs. Curl Enhancing Smoothie Pt. 2

What is Your Hair Type? and Why It's Important